Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Novel Journey

It's so interesting how characters can come to life when you're writing them. What's also interesting is how a novel can take on a life of its own and begin it's own journey...

I wrote a novel last November during NaNoWriMo. I had a book idea in mind but it just never felt right so when another idea floated into my mind a few days before the writing challenge started, I grabbed it and ran with it. Novel Quest is what happened.

But then, the more I played with the book, and thought about the ideas inside the book, the more it started to change direction and take on a new focus. I originally thought it was mostly about offering a humorous look at writers writing a 50,000-word novel in a month, along with some time morphing and a kahuna quest.

And then the magic happened. I realized it was more about a kahuna quest and finding the magic within, and that writing a 50,000-word novel in a month was part of the magic of the journey.

No comments: